Spinach, couscous and the disgruntled builders - Spinach and Couscous Soup

It is a grey and rainy day. The builders are laying floor tiles. Hunger has set in and all I can think of is a hearty soup.  I tiptoe gently my way into the kitchen and sense the raised eyebrows and despondent sighs. I can detect that certain feline-like instinct: 'don't come near, its MY territory'!  But I decide to ignore it and presume that if I included them in my lunch plan, they may mellow and tolerate my intrusion. What soup can I cook efficiently in less than ten minutes and be out of their sight?


A quick look in the fridge and I find: vegetable stock, a jar of Maria's soffrito, a bag of baby leaf spinach and some spring onions. Great!  I bring 1 litre of stock to the boil, add a tablespoon of soffritto and a chopped garlic clove. I grate about a teaspoon of ginger into the soup and add 4 tablespoons of couscous. Leave it to simmer for a couple of minutes. Finally, I add chopped spring onions and the spinach. I finish soup off with a squeeze of lemon juice, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and top it all with fresh coriander. I am now able to share my warm and comforting concoction with happy (and friendlier) builders.

NB soffrito will keep in an air tight jar in the fridge for up to 5 days.







Comments